Friday, September 7, 2007

Letter of appreciation from flood victim, alum

The following letter of appreciation was sent to Alumni Relations by 1991 alum Kristen Herrick.

I live in Goodview/Minnesota City (Sunny Acres) and was a victim of the flood. I owned a split-level home and had to jump from a window on the upper level into the rescue boat, as that was the only available means of escape left. I was more fortunate than some other victims. I lost the lower level of my home, which we had just finished, including everything in there. Furniture, tech equipment, furnace, water heater, things in storage down there, etc. Everything will have to be replaced, including both sets of stairs. I also lost the entrance way, flooring on the upper level, and my garage, including car, tools, snowblower and lawn mower.

I really appreciated what SMU did for the victims on Sunday and the following week. Getting off the bus and finding towels and dry T-shirts to change into in a clean, warm locker room was a little bright spot in a very gloomy morning. Waking up to the blare of a fire truck, telling you that you had to evacuate because you were losing your home to a flood was very disarming. I was proud of my alma mater.

There will be a long, hard struggle to get back what we lost, but kindnesses like those from family, friends, SMU and even complete strangers make the journey just a little bit easier.